Saturday, November 5, 2011

When he saw her last


The sunny day, the heat, the sweat
I lingered somehow to college in tracks
The first bench was my best friend alone
That tree in the college garden my bolster
In these hot summers I laid in its shade
It reminded of my mother’s lap
It reminded of my father’s hand
When he would keep it on my shoulder
Telling the ways of life and men
They died last year.



Another day, same faces
I was used to of my routine enough
The first bench, the break and my tree
The scribbling with my pen on paper
As I occupied my seat
I smelled a fragrance
A sudden air went across my face
It was as I stood amidst a valley
Full of flowers and hues of grace
I looked at my side
She sat there.

Those eyes were bigger than an infant’s
They carried a tinge of brown
Every time those curled lashes shut
It seemed the world came to an end
Her curly locks fell above her waist
They were darker than the darkest night
That kohl lined up her eyes a way
That swayed many stories from her life
As she looked at me and said that ‘Hello’
Those little pink lips moved in the most delicate way
That nose on her face, how I wished I could touch
Every boy yearned for her and girls stood in dismay



She was the wish I would ask God for
The lost light of my life I yearned
She was the girl I would have taken to Mom & Dad
Had they been here to bless their young son
I wrote her a letter to tell her how I felt
Ninety sleepless nights and days
I pictured us together in my growing
I was sure my love would find its way



As I entered the next day
Waiting with batted breathe
She came up to me
My hand she held
Torn pieces of my letter
She handed over and said
“Get lost from here
You scrap you loser”
And those classmates mocked
But I didn’t regret
She was the only wish I beheld



This was the piece he wrote the last
Nobody knew where he went
With her picture in his heart
And with his unfulfilled love
He never returned to that land

After many a years
When she was the mother of two
Everybody reunited and celebrated old days
She was as breath-taking
As she ever was
She only got beautiful with her age

She asked for him to a few
Nobody ever knew where he was
She rushed back home
Opened a letter from him she long possessed
But never cared to read before
She didn’t need it
Everything in life she has always had



She read it and crashed into the floor
He had died that day
For only death could pacify
His unfulfilled love
His desire for her, for his life
She lamented, she cried
She clutched her hair, tore her dress apart
His last words were,
“You were my only wish,
The one I wanted to see the last”
And so he chose the day
He saw her the last.




Plot courtesy: Neha Choudhry, Her blog (beautiful collection of poems) : Let Life Breathe...

15 comments:

  1. Leave everything aside and take your writing very seriously. I don't know a single person on the face of this earth who can actually strike the strings inside. You don't just have a way with words, you are the most beautiful weaver of situations and expressions.
    I love you, forever more.
    Hugs and Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you never cease to leave me with a smile! The plot was yours mine were just the words :) :)
    Thank you for such a beautiful tale!!
    And thank you for having faith in me by having given me this responsibility to give it my voice, my words. :) I am only glad, i hope i did justice :)
    I love you oh soo much!! Mwwwah :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justice? Ever heard of NAILED IT!? Oh.. you just did then! :D
    And who else is as senti and gifted to have given this the kind of feelings that you did. None, just you!

    Mmmuaah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-D Your poetry rocks....big time...:-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talk about heart-touching poetry! You're like a puppeteer steering words into making sense in beautiful poems:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. See,girls always understand late... poor guy :( . It couldn't have been described better:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neha: I love you. Period :*

    Rahul: Thanks a lot :)

    PeeVee: That was so thoughtful! Thanks so much :) :)

    Shivam: Humane, i will call it humane. We realize when its too late..
    And thanks re :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful.. so much that those pictures in between seemed like a distraction.. I hope many would agree..

    ReplyDelete
  9. as he passed into the underworld
    he had ceased to see
    till there be that trickle of love
    there always is a you and me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you write well...loved the way you have adorned your writing with beautiful pictures...

    ReplyDelete